Another perspective: giftedness actually is something to envy.

Sure, it comes with struggles, but nothing in life is pure benefit, with the possible exception of being tetrachromatic. I can't think of a downside to seeing extra colors, though this could be a failure of my imagination.

Over the years, I've met a lot of people who get downright whiny about how hard it is to be intelligent, and I think, "Would you rather have struggled to understand basic arithmetic or Intro to Business Studies? Would you prefer that your career options be limited at birth to basic manual labor? Would you rather...?"

I agree that people can be mean, and it's not right to pick on someone over something they were born with. But everyone is susceptible to this problem. Who gets picked on depends on the environment at a given time. The trick is to understand this fact and try to work with it.

Similarly, the bias problem is exacerbated when people put themselves into little groups and don't see that mistreatment against their group has the same roots as mistreatment of another group. Prejudices harm everyone. Belittling someone over intelligence has the same roots as belittling people over the music they like or where their parents came from or [insert anything innate here]. So there is nothing special about being mistreated because you're smart, but there is something very special about being smart.

Use your intellect to do something magnificent, whether it's finding a new way to increase energy efficiency in a building, or getting the PTA organized so it gets meaningful stuff done, or figuring out how gravity and quantum mechanics are connected. Only smart people can do those things, and being one of them is a privilege!