Hi everyone! As of this school year, my daughters (5 and 8) started attending our highly rated neighborhood public school. The 8yo is a Davidson Young Scholar, though to be honest we haven't used any of the services.

I'd love some input/feedback on how to design a good afterschooling program for my kids. Neither has learned much that's new at school this year, after coming from a private Montessori. They are both thriving socially and both will skip a grade over the summer, so school has been flexible about that. They have also been giving our 8yo some ability grouping/fun enrichment once a week, and letting her sit in on 3rd grade a couple of hours a week to get acclimated for next year when those will be her classmates. We're happy with the culture and social opportunities at school, but so far it has not been very academically rigorous.

I think we can do some good learning at home but I'm not quite sure how to structure that. Do I keep pushing in math & reading and then make them even more ahead at school? Do we just do fun stuff like puzzles and board games and family book club and going to museums? I'm just not sure what is best - my goal is to keep them learning, challenge them so everything isn't so easy, and make sure they still love learning and don't get discouraged by the easy worksheets they have to do at school. My husband isn't open to full homeschooling, and both of my girls are really thriving socially at school, so really, I see our job at home to provide some additional academic challenge and keep their love of learning alive.

I'd like to set up something fairly structured - we've been doing stuff randomly and it feels a bit chaotic and disorganized. Thanks for any help you can offer.