- She is guarded and reticent when meeting new people. This has been an observable behavior since she was an infant. She prefers to observe and get a sense of a person before engaging.

- She is outgoing and extroverted, but odd about who she calls a friend. We've had multiple discussions about this. She'll tell me she has no friends, and then she'll tell me about the kid she was teasing mercilessly, or the one she picked up and wrestled with, all in good fun in both cases. And I tell her that if these kids are cool with her doing these things, there is only one reason: she was granted the special privileges attendant to being regarded as a friend.

He is often times not himself in certain new situations, but not all. When he tries to impress, his behavior reflects his lack of self confidence. He makes faces, is loud or talk excessively, as was evident in the previous Psych session.

what you described about your daughter in social situations is similar to what I have seen with my son. I don't think he feels lonely. there are always kids he can chat with in different groups, orchestra, debate team, lunch tables and swimming team. he also chats endlessly with kids online about work or other things. He is keenly aware of these circles and know his position in these circles. However, he doesn't really go out and play with friends.