Originally Posted by ultramarina
I was warned that Sword of Shannara has aged very poorly as far as attitudes towards women.

I can't say, as it's been too long. I found that they didn't age well based on writing quality, but they were fine for me as a middle-schooler.

The Netflix series, I was pleased to note from the very beginning, features two very strong female main characters, and several women in leadership positions, including an Elvish military captain (hero) and a human Queen (villain). However, I would not recommend the series to your 10yo. I give it an unofficial PG-13 rating for sexual situations.

Originally Posted by Peony2
I'd second Ender's Game as others have mentioned; I think it's fine for kids. But I have reservations about some of the other Ender books -- it'd be a book-by-book question. I recall domestic abuse and just an icky family situation, and grotesque killings, in Speaker for the Dead.

Ender's Game itself contains domestic abuse (Ender's brother) and grotesque killings (Stilson, Bonzo, the giant from the virtual game, the Formics).