Hi,

Looking for suggestions for what type of professional is the best go-to person for disagreements between parents on educational decisions.

The background info: I have a 7 year old son who has been identified as 2e son (adhd). We had a slew of problems the 1st few years of schooling, but now he seems to be doing better. I'm hopeful it stays that way and this ultimately becomes a non-issue. But....

I am in the middle of a very ugly, toxic separation from his father. I have no need to slam my ex but do want to mention that he has time and time again put vindictiveness and spite ahead of what's best for our son. With that in mind, we are in the process of writing up an official Allocation of Parental Responsibility for court. I am trying the best I can to put in protections for my son in case a major decision comes along down the road that we can't come to agreement on.

I had success with convincing the GAL (Guardian ad litem) that a mediator (i.e. attorney with mediation training) would not be the right person to understand my son's specific needs. So....the question then becomes.... who is the right person to render an opinion? Essentially, this would be the person who would make the final decision or recommendation to a judge. Would it be a neuro psychologist, clinical psychologist, education counselor??? Does it matter? Other than adding a requirement that the person must have experience working with the gifted population, is there anything else I should take into consideration.

Does anyone have any experience in this area or any suggestions?

THANKS,

Laura