I'll second the suggestion to reassure her (and continue to) keep reading aloud to her and not turn that time into a time when you ask her to read. There's also a good chance she's just not feeling like reading out loud yet, or reading at all yet. When our oldest was the same age, we'd been able to tell for several years from his verbal conversation that he was a really bright kid, and I think that in our society, one of the touchstones of development that is often focused on is how old a child was when they started reading. The thing is, the age kids start reading is really individual from child-to-child and has (from what I can tell... but I'm not a professional)... no correlation to IQ or future potential re level of reading and comprehension. Each of my kids ultimately acted about the same way your dd is acting at around the same age. My oldest went on to learn how to read completely on his own and didn't share that information with either of his parents - we found out by mistake half-way through kindergarten when one of his relatives remarked on how well he was reading to us. Once his cover was blown, he was ok with reading with us, but he never really did enjoy reading out loud to us - when he was with us (parents) he wanted us to read to him. His focus during those times wasn't on learning how to read, he wanted to be able to relax and enjoy the stories hearing them told by us. That didn't halt his learning-to-read progress in any way - he was reading college text books by the time he left first grade, and he basically picked up reading on his own. The only thing we really did re reading development at home was simply to have a lot of books on hand in subjects he was interested in.

My middle dd, otoh, hesitated when reading out loud for a reason that neither of us parents realized until she was in 3rd grade - she couldn't see well (she had 20/20 eyesight but her eyes didn't track together). I only mention this because... in spite of the delays in reading progress caused by severely challenging vision issues, once the vision issues were resolved she caught up in her reading ability and surpassed grade level within just a few weeks (and she's *not* an extremely high IQ kid).

My youngest dd, otoh, appeared to be reading when she was very young, but her progress stalled in early elementary and we later found out she has a challenge that impacts reading ability so she ultimately had to go through several years of tutoring to catch up in reading. I don't think there's any reason to suspect your dd has any kind of reading challenge, I only mention that to point out that at 4, the behaviors you've noted surrounding reading, could mean several different things, but most likely are just typical early reader behaviors. Just my perspective, but from my experience, there's really no reason to rush the reading at this point. If your dd doesn't want to practice reading or demonstrate what she can read to you, just let it drop for awhile and focus on having fun spending time with her doing other activities that she enjoys, and where she can focus on thinking creatively rather than practicing. Hope that makes sense!

Best wishes,

polarbear