Hi, all.

I'm new to the forum and figured I'd jump right in. I have a 7yo son in 2nd grade who is gifted in a number of areas, including math. He's chomping at the bit to move ahead and actually learn new material at school, and I've been advocating strongly to get him more appropriate work but have been met with refusal.

A lot of the school's arguments against moving him ahead center around the math curriculum and how it's been implemented. His school uses Pearson's "Investigations in Number, Data, and Space" 3rd edition, which is very hands-on and emphasizes group learning. I was told that because of that, students in each grade learn the same material at the same pace with little differentiation, save for challenge questions, and that the only option available to my son is joining a third grade class for math. (There are issues with that, though, and while it's been offered, it has yet to actually happen.)

I'm wondering if anyone is familiar with the program and can offer feedback on whether this is the typical implementation, and if it can be modified somehow to allow for differentiation.

Thank you!