Our DD8 is in 3rd grade at a small, high-performing, private elementary school. She has been there since kindergarten. The students are bright. There is some level of differentiation. Even so, the curriculum does not meet her academic needs in areas where she is HG+ (she is not globally HG+).

I’d also mention, though, that we chose DD’s school for many of the reasons identified by your DS’s teacher. DD was/is sensitive. She didn’t socialize readily. She also had sensory processing difficulties and tends toward anxiety (not factors in your post). We thought she would benefit from small class size and individual attention. She has. The way she's wired hasn’t changed, but her confidence and coping skills have grown in that environment so she is better able to function in others. It was the “soft start” she needed and our best option for her early education. We don’t have a gifted program in our public schools.

And it may be time to reassess – DD is starting to fool around in class, and when I ask her why she tells me it’s because her brain is bored and needs some excitement.

Good luck in your decision.

Last edited by Gus; 11/09/17 08:22 AM.