My son is a gifted 10 year old 6th grader (bd in March) who is having a tough time falling asleep at night. His bedtime is 9 o'clock but on most nights he's still awake at 10 o'clock.

We asked him why he is still awake and he typically says that his mind is thinking about a variety of things (sometime's images, sometimes numbers, sometimes shapes, etc.) or else he just isn't tired.

My wife mentioned this to a local doctor and he prescribed some type of pill (I think it's Clonidine, .1mg pill before bedtime) to help him fall asleep. It worked one night but didn't work the other 4 he took it so we stopped giving it to him. The doctor said if it didn't work then maybe my son need to "go talk with someone."

My wife mentioned (and I read online) that some children may not need as much sleep as others. But I'm afraid if we allow him to stay up until say 10 o'clock, that if he still stays awake another hour after that, then he won't be asleep until 11 o'clock. He usually doesn't get up out of bed when he can't sleep but as a parent it worries me knowing that he's probably back there worrying about not falling a sleep for an hour or more.

We wake him up at 6:30 and he gets out of bed with no problem and he never really acts tired, worn out, or sleepy during the day.

I guess I'm wondering what time you have/had your 10 year old to go to bed and what advice you might have?

Thank you for any and all help you can provide.

TripleB

Last edited by TripleB; 09/13/17 07:05 AM.