DD4 is a very Visual Learner. Visuals, symbols, signs, marks seem to fascinate her more than standard words. If words were a part of any of those, they get registered permanently in her. If not, she either chooses not to read, or chooses not to remember.

When it comes to reading books – it usually goes something like this.

- She asks us to read a book for her
- We read that book for her when she asks, usually 3-4 times over a span of 1-2 days
- Then, she could turn to a random page from the book and read most of the sentences on that page

Except that, she doesn’t actually “read” the text. She remembers the text from our readings earlier and, mentally maps the picture on the page with the text. So, what appears to be reading is actually her narrating the page from memory by looking at the picture.

If I turn to a random page, hide all the text with my palm and then ask her to read – she still “reads” the page with only the picture visible.

She reads many words, a few sentences, most road signs etc but I think she may still be narrating her mental mapping.

I’m just wondering if I should do anything to encourage her to look at the text as much as the pictures? Or should I just let her learn it her way?