I would love some suggestions with this situation. We are are military family with two middle school students, DS11 and DS13. We are currently in the Virginia school system which does not use Common Core but also have great accelerated math programs. DS11 has been able to take the "extra" accelerated math track and is taking "Pre AP Algebra 1" in 7th grade. This is the equivalent of high school Algebra 1 with some additional skills/ rigor. DS13 is taking the same course this year in 8th grade.

We have orders to move to California next year (Summer 2018) to a pretty remote area. If we keep the kids in public schools, we are having trouble (even with good communication with the schools there) figuring out what would be the proper placement in Common core math courses to keep them challenged and on track without too much repetition of learned content or holes in learning. The schools out there use the Integrated Math 1, 2, and 3 as their math courses.

I'm wondering if I should have them do some online course work this year to help them fill in any holes they might have transferring into the Common Core system? Math comes very easy to DS11 and he thrives on challenge so I want to advocate for the correct placement rather than see him struggle with boredom if the math content is not challenging in 8th grade. Any recommendations for online courses they could do this year?