Aufilia,

You've received great advice above. I have two 2e kids - one with dysgraphia, one with a reading challenge which isn't technically classic dyslexia but has a similar impact in that she had difficulty learning to read, would appear to leap ahead in comprehension at different points in time due to her other abilities yet was still actually struggling with reading.

Originally Posted by demyankee
It's been my experience that getting an IEP (or even a 504) for gifted students is pretty difficult - which is its own issue. In order to qualify for an IEP in my district you'd have to show that the disability is affecting your child's ability to access the general education curriculum.

We were able to successfully advocate for an IEP for our ds, but it took quite a long road of advocacy and a lot of time on my part as well as outside testing and diagnosis. You have what you need in terms of testing and data, so the key is going to be approach. If you prepare by building your case with your data, showing how the dyslexia is impacting your ds' ability to access the general curriculum as demyankee points out, you've got a good shot at getting remediation and accommodations built into his IEP.

Getting the 2nd e's written into IEP goals is really only a small first step, however. The larger challenge for us was in getting the goals carried out, and having the goals be meaningful in a way that actually helped our ds. Simply convincing his IEP team to write an IEP didn't guarantee that teachers who didn't understand 2e would think he needed that IEP, didn't guarantee that teachers who did think he needed it had the time to carry out the work outlined, and didn't guarantee that the approach put together in the IEP was what was truly needed or that it would work to get ds the help he needed.

At some point I realized that the only way (for us) to get the help our 2e kids needed was to combine outside (private) remediation with accommodations and some remediation at school. While it would have been better in many ways to work through everything at school, it just wasn't going to happen (for us) in the way and to the extent that it needed to, and private therapists an tutors were much more willing to craft together programs that met the individual student where they were at. This was especially critical for our ds with dysgraphia as he also has challenges with expressive language which impacted him even after he had appropriate accommodations for dysgraphia. I think my dd's reading challenges *could* have been significantly remediated through school if her school had offered the program her tutor used (it's a widely-used program in the US).

Originally Posted by demyankee
The one thing I think you could push is the dysgraphia. If his ability to write is hindering his progress in the gen ed curriculum, you'd have a good case. You'd want to talk about how crucial writing is to understanding, especially as your son gets older. You want to give him the tools and the supports now, early so that by the time they will truly impede his ability in middle and high school he will already have a toolbox from which to pull.

I agree with what demyankee says about dysgraphia above, but would like to point out the same applies to dyslexia. With my own kids, I'd say that the dyslexia is even more concerning than dysgraphia in potential impact if not remediated early. Dysgraphia is, for many students, a challenge that is met with accommodations, and many of those accommodations become widely used by neurotypical students as our children reach high school in particular. Dysgraphia impacts getting thoughts *out* but dyslexia impacts getting information into a student's brain, and the impact of what they don't read due to reading challenges can be huge. My dd's reading challenge wasn't terribly obvious in early elementary because she was bright, because the type of classroom activities and testing didn't catch the real issue, and because she was very adept at making sure no one realized she was having a tough time reading. By the time she was in upper elementary she was beginning to miss problems on homework and tests that had nothing to do with her learned knowledge and everything to do with not reading the question correctly. By the time she was in middle school, the vocabulary development she'd missed from not reading was clearly impacting her in many areas of academics. The real gotcha here - she was receiving *good* remediation and making good reading progress with her tutor. The challenge: reading was still difficult for her (still is) and she doesn't like it. So from my perspective, the earlier remediation happens the better. DD started with her tutor in 3rd grade, and I honestly wish we'd started with a tutor when she first started reading, which was long before she entered elementary school. I had no idea at that point in time that an early reader might actually have a reading challenge.

Re dysgraphia, I'd recommend getting accommodations in place right away in the classroom for everything except for specific handwriting instruction. I'd also start with offering scribing and keyboarding for his homework right away, rather than wait until you've got things written up formally in an IEP. I'm also a fan of letting younger students develop their own system of typing (rather than teaching traditional touch typing). We did try a touch-typing program with our ds when he was first learning how to keyboard, but morphed into his own system. While it's not anywhere near as fast as a professional touch-typist, he types much faster than he writes, and types fast enough to keep up with his thoughts, which is really what matters most.

My advice is to prepare yourself and advocate like crazy to get what your ds needs at school, but also be sure to do your research so that you as his parent know what he needs in terms of remediation. Is the current testing you have with the dyslexia and dysgraphia diagnoses testing that was administered through the school district or privately? Did the evaluator include specific recommendations for remediation and accommodations? If not, I'm happy to share what we did in terms of both remediation and accommodations for our ds (I'm not sure my dd's remediation would be applicable to your ds, although we did use the spelling program aeh mentioned).

Best wishes,

polarbear