Welcome to the board, ryandiana. I have a few things to add - wanted to let you know I'm the parent of 3 teens, the youngest is 13.

First a question - what behaviors indicate she's withdrawing? Is it spending a lot of time with her electronics, not wanting to participate in activities that used to be fun for her, has she had friends move away or has she had any falling-out with friendships lately, are things changing in her friends lives? I could probably spend another hour coming up with questions smile What would be most likely helpful (if you haven't already done it) is to talk to her and ask what's going on. It might not be something you can get to with a straightforward one-time ask, but keep talking with her, keep engaging her in conversation.

Re texting - teens can get really caught up in the lives of their phones smile ...but fwiw as much as I don't want my kids living through their phones, I've also seen over the years that the ability to text and communicate via other apps etc also has a positive side to it in terms of social relationships. I have three very different teens - one who makes friends easily, understands people naturally, and is extremely outgoing and social, one who has an expressive language challenge, is not terribly adept at understanding other people, and has to work really hard to figure out how to initiate communication. Each one of them has (I hate to even say this "out loud" - I am not a fan of electronics lol!)... but I'll say it - they've each benefited by having the ability to text. If you want more of an explanation, I'll be happy to explain in more detail.

I'd also keep in mind that 12 can be a very tough age socially for teens, especially girls. There's been a ton of drama in each of my childrens' 6th and 7th grade classes, primarily girl drama, and lots of changing of friendships at the same time they are feeling friendships and peer relationships are really important. Sometimes peers can be cruel to each other, without really meaning to. One thing that helped when my kids and their peers were going through that stage was having a teacher or other adult (aside from parents) that they could look to as a role model, someone who was aware of what was going on and who they could talk openly about friendship issues etc with.

If you are concerned about having seen indications that there may be something more than just ordinary issues with electronics and peers-gone-hormone-crazy etc, then definitely look for help either through an evaluation or counseling or whatever seems to be the need.

Best wishes,

polarbear

Best wishes,

polarbear