Hi, I'm new here. We had DS6 evaluated for an iep recently. He was diagnosed with ADHD a few months ago and has been struggling to keep in together at school (1st grade). He is constantly in motion, fidgeting, talking, ect. He rushes through his work and then gets into trouble. He likes to monitor his classmates for misbehavior as well. Interestingly, in both K and 1st, his teachers had no concerns about his behavior for the first half of the year. This year's teacher even said, "he's easy" when I asked about behavior at the parent/teacher conference. It's the second half of the year that he seems to struggle to keep it all together.

He has definitely been more active, more argumentative and more intense, etc since he was about 1. I've suspected he'd be diagnosed with ADHD for awhile. He's also always been bright. He learns things very easily and has a great memory. I suspected he may be gifted, but I wasn't sure. He often insists on the most illogical arguments and... I don't know. I didn't want to be that mom. He didn't read or speak early. He feels more comfortable around younger kids and just doesn't come across as "gifted".

Anyway, we started medication for ADHD, but haven't found the right one. School behavior is still an issue. The teacher recommended getting a plan in place for future teachers, I requested the iep eval because I really wanted his iq tested as well.

So he had his iep evaluation done. They did the Wisc-v. Here are his scores

FSIQ: 143
VCI- 118
VSI- 141
FR- 140
WM- 130
PS- 129

The tester said that even though he has a large difference between VCI and everything else, it can't be considered a weakness because the score is still above average. A lot of scores I see seem to be the other way around... high VCI and lower elsewhere. But it makes sense for him, I guess. He's drawn to numbers, legos, shapes. But does not like writing or conversing. He prefers to be read to rather than to read.

The evaluation also said he shows characteristics of ODD, conduct disorder and signs of anxiety and depression.

The pediatrician wants to add another medication, but given that he's gifted and we've had lots of struggles with his behavior in the past, I feel like we should be looking into whether some of the behaviors are caused more by the OE being poorly managed by us for the past 6 years and what can we do to improve his mental state through means other than more medication.

So does anyone have any suggestions on where to start? He's in play therapy, but it doesn't seem to have benefited him yet. I was leaning toward a neuropsychological evaluation. From what I can tell that may possibly give us a good idea of what all we're dealing with. It was recommended that he have a sensory integration eval, so I plan to schedule one.

TIA for any input.