Originally Posted by puffin
In NZ we have a children's commissioner who was before that a judge who studied law because one of his teachers said something along the lines of "with that stutter you better not be a lawyer". I stutter sometimes when I am thinking ahead of what I am saying, I also leave the ends off words when writing sometimes. Maybe it is just an overload thing.

My father stutters so it is genetic for us. My speech isn't clear and when I talk fast about quantum states in photons (which is all I do) nobody understands me eek

With my son it is a little bit different. There are so called "secondary" aspects to his stuttering... Sound repetition by itself isn't that common or serious for him. The biggest concern is with his start-of-the-sentence blocking and changing his face expression as if he just swallowed a lemon when he tries to overcome the block. It isn't common, but it is obvious. He can completely avoid it if he focuses on his strategies, but what 8yo does it all the time?
We took him to a neuropsych - same people who saw him for his PDD-NOS when he was younger (he lost that dx), and they didn't really find any pathology. So we don't know much....

Last edited by Chicagomom; 05/24/17 12:31 PM.