Initiation, elaboration and self-editing are problems for him.

Initiation is the worst one I think. He gets an idea easily, refines it with an outline, and THEN he is stuck. I think he is overwhelmed with all the possible ways to say something. He usually gets stuck at initiation and goes back to idea generating - blames the idea for his stuckness and starts over.

Elaboration I think is an issue of being unwilling to do to the work required, whether that be writing the words or finding supporting facts. He also has an elaboration issue where he's resisting writing more than a paragraph. He refused to write down what he told me verbally because the point was "only 1/5 of the paragraph" and then it would be "too long". Where he gets the concept of "too long", I've no idea.

Self-editing is most problematic before he starts to write words on the page. It's also problematic in revising when he is unwilling to do the work required to revise. He has excellent revision skills when he is revising someone else's writing!

Seems to me that initiation is a mainly perfectionism, while elaboration and self-editing are more ADHD impulsiveness problems.

Thank you so much for your response aeh! You helped me clarify what problems are so we can focus on one at a time. I think initiation is the most concerning and easiest to modify. Do you agree?

Last edited by sanne; 05/22/17 08:57 PM.