Hugs! I'm so sorry your DS is in this situation. We've been in a G/T program in the public school here since K and my oldest ds is moving on to middle school this year.

Based on 6 years of experience with begging for more advanced material, accelerations, etc., in the public school system, at a G/T school no less, for a kid like yours I'd consider homeschooling if you can possibly make it work. We've gotten lucky over the years, with teachers who do understand and let the kids work ahead, but a lot of the teachers we've encountered really don't have the energy to deal with outliers.

I still don't know if the administration at our school really doesn't understand what my kids are capable of, or if they do, but don't want to do anything about it so they're playing naive. I suspect the second case.

Do you live in an area where there are homeschool groups? Our local Y has homeschool PE classes, the local museums have art and science homeschool groups, and there are a lot of moms who group together to schedule playdates and such.

I would love to homeschool, but my husband insists that I'm not disciplined enough to pull off the schedule and I strongly suspect he's right. I tend to flow freely from one activity to the next...

As it stands my older son got into a middle school that we are pretty sure will handle him well, and we're just hanging in there with younger DS until he gets to middle school too. Supplementing where we can and encouraging extracurricular activities helps.

Best of luck to you. It's so difficult to have a child who is an outlier. Very few people truly understand what you are living with, and even fewer understand what your child is going through.