Hello!

I'm a new member to this forum, though I've been lurking for a long time.

I have a DD8 and a DS7 that are both highly gifted. Both were tested and admitted into the gifted program in kindergarten when we lived in Texas. Last summer, we moved from Texas to a small, rural town in Nevada.

DD8 is in third grade. Her teacher came highly recommended as the best in the grade for gifted students by everyone we talked to; however, she has refused to make accommodations for DD. I feel like she finds any weakness she can to focus on and shame DD about. DD has had trouble making friends and with self-esteem this year because her teacher will announce to the class whenever DD does something "wrong." Since we were new to the school, I decided to wait and see if things would get better. Once I realized they wouldn't, it seemed like it was too late in the year to shake things up.

That being said, DS7 is going into that grade next year. I've been volunteering/substituting at the school and have gotten to know the other teachers in the grade a little and have seen that they really aren't any better at differentiating, and discipline issues seem to be worse in their classes. However, DS has had a phenomenal teacher this year (in second grade), who noticed his abilities on the first day of school and has been continually adjusting her approach to keep up with his learning.

This teacher is moving to fourth grade next year. She has recommended DS accelerate to fourth grade next year. This would put DD8 and DS7 in the same class next year, but they are both very excited about the idea. The teacher and I both feel that it would be easier to meet both of their needs if they were together, since they are both so far ahead of their age peers. The principal was initially supportive, but the district has said no, citing social/emotional issues. They are recommending subject acceleration instead, but I'd much prefer DS to be in one class, and not going back and forth being third and fourth grade all day (especially after the experience we've had with DD in third grade this year). There is no written district policy about acceleration, and as far as I can tell, no state policy in Nevada.

The school has agreed to give the K-TEA, but I'm not sure the results of that will change the district's opinion. They already have seen his MAP scores, which are in the 99th %-ile across the board. I'm really frustrated that the superintendent, who has barely met my son is overriding the opinion of the teachers and administrative staff who actually know his abilities.

I sent several research articles to the principal, and the teacher has written a letter as well. Is there anything else I can do?

Thanks!