Thanks for the input Elizabeth! I appreciate it very much.

Indigo, all very very helpful points. I forgot to note that my "pretty" and "beautiful" comments stem from the fact that, not only does DS have horrible handwriting/penmanship, it's pathologically bad. Years ago, Polarbear recommended that I seek an eval for him for dysgraphia based upon my description of his efforts. We talked ourselves out of that, which I am regretting. It's not that he's just sloppy but it's that his hands are physically incapable (it seems) of holding a pencil correctly and his hands sort of let loose and can't be kept in check. It's the same with any coloring or (sigh) map coloring (which they do a lot of). I thought MS would include more typing but that's not been the case yet.

Your point is well-taken. I think the teachers look for "neat" work. His work will never look "neat" when handwritten.
So I can't blame the teachers, really, if they receive his work, look at it, and just say ugh...I'll get to it later. We just have to deal with that part of it.

OTOH, his orchestra evaluations call for 4-5 page typewritten analyses of his most recent performance and he has no problem with getting full credit for that. He's happy to spend the time putting in all the fancy graphics and cutouts of the score, etc. So, when the playing field is somewhat level...

And, yes, trust me, I am ALWAYS on him about making him redo work when it's illegible. Ditto for algebra. Yes, indeed, I understand that it's all about showing work so, if he doesn't, he should get marked off. We make him redo his math homework all the time.

Yes, those are all extremely helpful suggestions. I will implement those today with him. I like the idea of explaining how scientists need to be meticulous.

He is working harder this year so I'm encouraged and try to emphasize that it's the effort that counts. He's sort of young for his grade as he won't turn 13 until right when 8th grade starts but I think his EF is showing signs of life. smile

Thank you again!!!

Thanks