[quote=polarbear
The other thing I'd look at is how is his ADHD impacting him in the classroom? He says he's bored, and he's obviously a very bright student - but is he able to focus and not be distracted when he's tasked with classwork? If he's having difficulty with that, it's possible that the difficulty isn't going to go away by advancing the level of challenge in the material (i.e. grade skipping). While it does happen that highly gifted kids can *look* like they have ADHD symptoms when they are under challenged, it's also sometimes easy to overlook as parents the very real impact of a 2e challenge. Dealing with how to accommodate, work through, and remediate challenges due to 2e is *so* much easier and so very important to tackle when a student is still in early elementary school. Not dealing with those challenges in early elementary can also take a huge toll on self esteem. Please know I'm not suggesting you aren't dealing with his ADHD, it's just a reminder that while the first thought we tend to jump to with our highly gifted kids and perceived boredom is - let's give them more academic challenge - it's really important when a student is 2e to be sure they're adequately prepared for the challenge, not only intellectually but in terms of their 2nd e.
[/quote]

His ADHD is pretty well managed right now. He is on medication and his teacher reports that he's doing very well, completing work etc. I don't think ADHD is playing a role in his current boredom. We've also been acutely aware of potential self esteem issues that come with the adhd package. If it wasn't for the adhd piece I feel like the acceleration would be a no-brainer for him.