These rigid cog-at cutoffs that districts impose drive me crazy. If a kid has a bad day or misses just one extra question then all of a sudden they don't qualify for any services. It's ridiculous that someone with a CogAT score of 132 could get in but a 140 is denied. If you look at the score profile it will probably say he has an "E" profile meaning there is a large discrepancy between scores, and according to the recommendations CogAT puts out the test should be regarded with caution because the child may be twice exceptional. This happened to my daughter. She is so slow and unfocused that she left two sections of the test (math and non-verbal) half blank due to it being strictly timed, so of course her composite score ended up only being 118 or something. When she was tested on the WISC her GAI was 150 and non-verbal was her highest score, whereas on the CogAt verbal was her highest score (by far) because that's the section she finished. if you can get his "profile" and the test recommedations (i.e. score warnings) that might help your case. Since there is such a large gap between scores they should give him a different test like the WISC.