If he is college-bound, I suggest talking to admissions of potential colleges to see what they require. (And there's almost always a way around college freshmen admission requirements.)

Check your state to see if they allow alternate high school graduation plans. In my state the school board can approve an alternate plan. Perhaps your son can do an independent study on a foreign culture, which would give him exposure to global cultures without the distress of learning another language.

Check your state law to see if they allow students to take classes at a different institution. Perhaps your son can take sign language through a virtual school or a college and have it paid for by your district and count for credit.

If those options are exhausted, I'd suggest proposing an alternative foreign language course. I'm thinking Rosetta Stone, which doesn't have a handwriting component.

However, I'd like to share the experience of my 8 year old nephew. He has dyspraxia of speech, dysgraphia and dyslexia. He learned to read and write through foreign language study. He attends weekly Hebrew classes and uses Mango Language at the library and Duolingo at home. He had major english reading breakthrough while learning Russian. While learning foreign languages, he has learned variations of letter sounds which have improved the clarity of his english speaking.

I hope something works out for your son!

Last edited by sanne; 03/14/17 06:13 PM.