When my 5th grader (9 yo son) isn't using his hands for something else he always seems to be tensing them up and then letting them relax (best way I now how to describe it) over and over and over. Even when he's just sitting there watching tv or reading or even when there's a break in a video game he's playing. His hands are flat but he squeezes his fingers together (each hand separately) and then relaxes them.

I would say it's his way to cope with stress but there shouldn't be any stress just watching tv. Or maybe staying in motion (even with just his hands) is a way for him to cope with his giftedness and his over active brain.

But as a parent it almost hurts me because to me it doesn't ever look like he is at rest and is stress free.

Does anyone else's child do something very similar and if so do you say anything to your child about it or do you just let it go?

In my gifted math class (7th grade teacher) today I notice a child had a 'fidget cube' (6 sides with different type of devices to keep fingers busy) and I was wondering if something like this would help my son relax or if it would make him more stressed.

I would love to hear your thoughts.

Thank you!!!

TripleB