Notably, the individuals with the highest IQs among my acquaintance are not members of any of these societies, nor do they appear to have any interest in joining them. (This includes both those for whom I am aware of documentation, and those who only appear to be of comparable ability, such as through other credentials/accomplishments that are often used as proxies for intelligence.)

Note that the Cattell III B used by British Mensa is truncated at a max score of 161 for adults (though the full version of the test has a much higher ceiling of 174, I believe). Like any test, it has standard error, so there is really no difference between a 162 and a 161 (even assuming we are talking about the same test for Hawking and Einstein).

Jon, I am very sorry to hear of the injury suffered by your Snoopy mug. This is especially unfortunate, as MetLife and Snoopy have parted ways, so I expect this (slightly damaged) item will soon become a prized collector's item, worth even more than a Triple-Nine mug. It would have been worth even more if it were still in its pristine, in-the-box state.

...pronounced like the long vowel and first letter of the alphabet...