Hi, I am Ania's son and she has asked me to respond to this one. I program (decently) in Visual Basic 5.0, and I have been doing so for almost two years, but recently, I have learned a ton of new programming, and I am still amateur. This programming language is good for almost anything that has to do with PC's, including tweaking with Microsoft Office programs (I've never done it-HARD). This language can easily be used to write games, and is not at all limiting. However, even doing platform games (Dude ruuning around and killing people) is hard, but I do believe it is possible. A GREAT way to start learning Visual Basic (Get 6.0), is to buy Visual Basic for Kids, made by KIDware. It costs $20. I also have recently wanted to make games, and I talked with a friend. He said an easy game-making software is GameMaker, although I have never tried it, so I cannot personally recommend it. Lastly, Visual Basic is logical and easy to follow, so once you know it, you can easily program without looking in the manual.
Ania's son, aka Ghost