Originally Posted by Cranberry
Duke's official statement: "We do not recommend that you spend a lot of time preparing for the test. The point of taking an above-level test is diagnostic, and many test preparation programs merely lead to unnecessary anxiety. Since this test is only meant to provide information, we suggest the best way to prepare is to be familiar with the structure of the test and the timing of each section, and to review the practice questions we provide."

But as your son is in a 9th grade class, kids at that point are starting to prep for PSAT, SAT, etc., where higher scores can have a meaningful impact on NM status, college admissions, etc.

I would be concerned if his class was spending too much time prepping for a test and not enough time actually...well...learning English. But a few questions each week isn't going to hurt.

I wouldn't worry about affecting the TIP test - what's the worst that can happen? He does well and gets in?

That is what I thought. They aren't doing it daily. I think she assigns it once a week or every two weeks. I didn't even know they were doing it until I noticed it on the online gradebook that I don't check very often.