My son's reading teacher sent me the below email yesterday. He is 10 years old in 5th grade, a public school (metro Boston). He was in a top private school from 1st-3rd grade in another east coast state and had ok school life there. I've seen similar emails/complains from almost all his teachers. The difference is that teachers in private school did better job than public school in dealing with my son. I heared "highly gifted" kids but have never done any research on this topic before I saw his WISC-V report which we did in Dr. office in Oct, 2016. He has FSIQ 146/99.9 and GAI 152/>99.9. Recently he got 99% in SSAT middle level exam without preparation. Both exams remind me that I should stop screaming him and question him why he keeps getting him and busy parents in trouble. He is a busy hockey/swimming kid, true love for two instruments, and does very well in math (currently working on Algebra 1 in AoPS). I were so frustrated yesterday after I saw teacher's email. This is a very critical time because I need teachers write recommendation letters for private school application (6th grade). Parents who have kids in Boston area know how difficult to get a seat from a good private school. My son was rejected last year because of his 4th grade school reports and teacher's recommendation. Now this email puts him in risk again.

I screamed him last night again and he cried so much. He told me that he doesn't know "how to pay attention on some subjects in classroom". What he asked me last night really hurt my heart. I asked the teacher that I want to meet her and I plan to tell her that my son had WISC-V evaluation and Dr. claimed that he is a highly gifted kid.

I am asking parents here for suggestions: what I can help him to survive in school and how to get an above average school report for private school application? I am going to read some gifted education books and will engage some professional people for further service.

--------------------------
##### Good Afternoon xx and xx,
I just wanted to check in about DD and let you know how things have been going.
Really nothing much has changed since we first spoke. DD continues to possess very strong reading and comprehension skills, well beyond grade level. I have zero concerns about his ability to read and understand text, both fiction and non-fiction .
My concerns continue to be with the student skills and work ethic that appear to be difficult for DD to maintain. Almost daily, I am giving DD reminders about staying on task, or following directions. I also would love to see him really engage with his assignments and show me what he is truly capable of!

I have pulled DD separately on several occasions to ask him how I can help him show me his best effort. He does not seem to have an answer about what is getting in his way.
DD is a great kid, with so much potential. Perhaps a conversation with you both may help him identify what seems to be getting in the way?
Thank you for your time, ####