Can you find a copy of the procedural safeguards? Did they give that to you? That says what your rights are and on ours at least it gives phone numbers of various advocacy agencies to call to get more info if there is a problem. Districts are required to give this out if a parent makes a request, they are also required to send you a prior written notice whenever they propose to do something or reject your own proposal. Look on the Dept. of Ed website for your state and see if there's a number you can call for assistance with special ed compliance issues.

I would be annoyed if my kid heard info from another kid about how various kids did on testing. Sounds like someone is unprofessional and a blabbermouth. Are you sure you want to pursue this gifted programming if the school is not really on board? Because if you have to fight for it and they don't understand twice exceptional kids, they will constantly look for reasons why he doesn't really belong there even if they let him in. I think your best move at this point would be to get outside testing if you have the money for it. Go to an evaluator who can also look at the writing issue, and then make recommendations to the school in the report. The school may still ignore it but at least you have it for your own information and will know how much you should push forward trying to get him in the program. That's just my 2 cents at any rate.