ASD has been ruled out by our clinical psychologist [after a year of weekly sessions and a full battery of tests] citing DC's advanced grasp of Theory of Mind concepts. DC is 6 but the psychologist says it is like chatting with a 30 year old a lot of the time. A year ago, after their first session, the psych suggested I start researching ASD [specifically the former ASD dx of Aspergers] as there were certainly a lot of overlapping behaviors. This was around the time I stumbled on to Webb's 'Misdiagnosis and Dual Diagnoses of Gifted Children and Adults'.

The test was administered by DC's clinical psychologist and they know each other very well so I'm not inclined to think the score is artificially low due to correct-ish answers as I believe that our psych would have worked to avoid that scenario [within the parameters of ethical testing procedures, of course].

I'm sure we've all said/thought this a few times: but why didn't these kids come with a manual? At this point, I'd happily take a tip sheet!

Thanks for your input!