Originally Posted by indigo
While some may form rather insular groups by ethnicity, and not assimilate, I prefer to focus on individual motivation, to the degree that is possible when the topic is how children achieve/perform as a whole, by country, and by demographic.

While some may find it difficult to change parental behavior, the qualifications to receive government funding (collected from taxpayers and redistributed) could change, rewarding desired behavior. There is an old saying, "What you reward, you get more of." For example, some now find that the easiest way to receive a funding increase is to have an additional child, and not have the father in the home.

These choices may detract from, or negatively impact, the level of in-home educational support for these children.

While the US is different than NZ simular claims are made. The statistics though say that it is a small minority that have more kids to stay on a benefit longer or who are teenage benefit mums. The highest number of people on the sole parent benefit are divorced women in their thirties and it is usually temporary. MMore common is a child who isn't getting the support they need becsuse both parents work long hours at poorly paid jobs leaving kids cared for or caring for siblings.

NZ is dropping in the PISA ratings because despite being similar in set up to Canada and having a relatively consistent schooling system we have a huge variation of scores. We have about 20% of kids whom we have been compketely unable to lift academically.

ETA. The expert on the radio the other day claimed that this problem was caused by ability clustering. He argument was that kids in China were getting an hour maths from the teacher every day whereas because of having to teach a bit of the class at a time kids here only get 3 short sessions a week. I remember that though when I was at school and instruction was about 10 mins to all then 50 mins working in silence. I can't see why the teacher can't do 10 mins with four groups a day. As far as i can see it is more that insuffucent time is allocated in the first place.

Last edited by puffin; 12/11/16 08:26 PM.