Hi everyone,

My DS is 9 years old, in the 4th grade at a small private school. Since the 2nd grade he has been "half skipping" - moving up to the next grade level for reading and math, and doing extremely well in all subjects. At the end of last year (3rd grade year) he approached us and said that he would prefer to complete the skip and move fully into 5th grade this year, rather than half 4th/half 5th.

We discussed with the school at the time, and were convinced that for the time being it was best to stick with the same approach, skipping for reading and math and staying with his class for social studies, english, etc. Due to the schedule at the school he ends up in the higher grade for spanish, computers and PE as well just to make the scheduling work as the kids move around throughout the day.

After the first quarter this year he mentioned the move again to complete the skip and we are discussing it again with the school. He has adjusted very well over the last couple years, most of his close friends that he spends the most time with throughout the day are now the higher grade, which is a new development this year. He is a very happy boy and absolutely loves school, he would spend all of his time doing school things if we would let him.

The main hesitation with the school seems to be social concerns, not currently as he is an accepted and active part of the social circle in the higher grade that he would be moving to, but hypothetically in future years, probably high school as his current school runs through 8th grade.

I have been searching the internet off and on here and there for months about this, and don't seem to find any clear evidence that a grade skip for an appropriate candidate would lead to any negative social consequences. Does anyone have any info that would contradict me on this? I understand that if he was having some severe emotional issues, had trouble making friends, etc., then it might not be a good idea, but none of these are the case at this point.

Personally my only concern with completing the skip is that it might ultimately lead to him asking for additional skip in the future, as he has already been skipping and scoring high A's in reading and math for years and I don't see social studies, etc. being much of a problem. If any social concerns ever pop up as he grows up we expect to deal with them as a family as we would anyway, as everyone has social challenges to some extent throughout adolescence.

I am trying to be as prepared as possible before talking to the school again and just wondering if anyone has any definite evidence of negative social consequences that I am missing.

Thanks in advance and sorry for being so wordy!

th