I have been reading trying to understand how privatizing schools will benefit the underprivileged but I don't see how it will. There are people who for better or worse cannot drive their child to another school in another town. We have magnets that are free and provide transportation. Private schools are not currently mandated to help special needs. If someone can explain to me how undermining the safety of teachers jobs and neighborhood public schools (who receive extra government funding if they are in a impoverished neighborhood) is a way to solve this I would like to hear it. Currently, I know of several private schools who offer reduced rates and financial aid to impoverished families who want to send their kids there. How will getting rid of public schools help anyone? I know there are teachers that should be fired but aren't or cannot be fired for contractual reasons - but that is true in any business, and I don't see how charter and privatized education will do anything to help the kids who really need help (impoverished, special needs). But my kids go to a fantastic public school, so I am not the demographic that want this. I do agree that we should be seeking high quality teachers but don't we already do that? With regard to VR00, with public schools there is a lot of accountability and transparency that will go the way of the dodo if privatized (charters for instance are not as transparent as non charter public, and private are not transparent at all.)