Hello Fellow Parents,
Here is our story in a nutshell:
whistle Came to these forums when my son was 2. Tested at 3, WJIII Cog. result was I.Q. 138 with wording in the report at every subtest that it is an underestimate. For the next year and a half I "fought" (emails, letters, phone calls, meetings) to get him in public school at 4.5. It worked. He got a half year of K. The teacher wasn't a good match but he got the 6 months of social time he needed before 1st. Well, here we are in first grade, he is 5.5. The teacher completely gets him! It is like a dream come true. She knows she is unique in understanding children who develop on their own schedule and believes that his need for academics is imperative to his whole self. Great, right?
We had his parent-teacher conference. She presented me with scores to show how far ahead he is. He is supposed to be in Kindergarten but is almost done with 3rd grade curriculum and standards. His writing ability is catching up to his cognitive comprehension. He is writing out math equation now as well. I felt so optimistic (at times) that this grade skip was working. She started asking me if I have considered other schools, like Waldorf or schools that have multi-age classrooms. She said that he doesn't need practice, if she shows him something once, he gets it and she sees no reason why he won't end first grade being so far ahead that no differentiation can bridge the gap. Worth noting that he is extremely social and extremely tall, blends in with first graders completely.
I think by the end of this year, he will need 5th grade materials. We live in a semi-rural, beautiful,yet expensive community. It is progressive in many ways but in regard to schooling, the education does not match the cost of living. There is a self-contained GATE class at 4th through 6th grade, which may or may not still be there in a few years. It is not our hometown, we aren't eternally committed to the area, moving is an option (not easy but can happen). Which brings me to these questions I have for you fine parents:

How do YOU know if it is "working"?
How do you know that what you are doing is enough?
Would retesting and utilizing the Davidson Young Scholars be worth our while?
Has anyone moved for better schools and regretted it?
Thank you!

Last edited by GGG; 11/19/16 09:18 AM.