Thank you for these helpful responses. DS is in a small, private, classical school. The school doesn't have any special education accommodations or staff trained in OT. Due to its small size, the school isn't equipped to handle special needs for children unless those needs don't interfere with classroom instruction, but it's up to parents to get the outside support their children need. The teacher recommended we seek out our own OT to work with and mentioned the OT could do some classroom observation as well as provide tools for the teachers to work with him. If he continues to struggle, they would recommend he repeat pre-K or leave, but DS may be more frustrated with repeating as they are doing letter of the week, etc. and he may get bored and behave no better the next year.

polarbear - You are right that much of what he has to do at school isn't quite like what we do at home. I have always been pretty relaxed, letting him pursue his interests in his own time. The school's teaching approach is more structured or rigid than some schools and definitely more structured than what he is used to at home. He is still so young and our first child, so I haven't had other kids to compare him to. I will also mention he was a preemie (27 weeks), so there certainly may be issues he faces due to that. I never expected him to do many of the things he does now, so I count my blessings daily.

I think I have what I need to talk with his pediatrician and also will google DCD and dyspraxia.

Thank you again for taking the time to respond.