Thanks ConnectingDots and Indigo.

I actually had a similar realization as I wrote the message I posted here (this board is good for so many things LOL).

We had a nice chat about it when the kids got home from school. He said he realized right away, after he hit send, that it wasn't such a good idea. Which had the added benefit of a low-impact, but real life, lesson on dangers of the digital era too :-)

We chatted about the fact that questioning facts/what is being taught isn't wrong (its often really good!), but the way he went about it left something to be desired. And talked about all the possible 'ifs' involved (maybe they are teaching something different on purpose, maybe the teacher made a mistake). How she might have felt receiving that email. Also, we agreed it was really his sister's discussion to have, anyway, given that it was *her* teacher and *her* assignment.

My jump to respect vs. disrespect stems from a pattern I've seen lately. Not just questioning authority, but bucking it. Taking the 'why do adults have more power than we have' line a little too far. I encourage my kids to think about what people are asking and saying - adults or no. And question when appropriate. Respect has to do with how the questions are asked, and why you have to give others some credit for what they say and ask, and sometimes listen without uttering the questions that may run through your head. (Also the more domestic aspect of it, and respecting my desire for a clean-ish home!! And why they have to pitch in!)

So - sort of two separate issues! With DS, the conversation was wonderful - he was a dream about it. And we agreed that we'd come back to some short lessons/conversations about respect over the next few weeks.