When learning to do both of these tasks (calculate while applying abstract concepts) it's easy to get tripped up --- especially if fractions and/or negative numbers are involved. So is it possible that she's having trouble doing both of these tasks at once?

Yes. It's a little odd because she's not the kid who gets facts wrong or does addition wrong typically...it hasn't historically been a problem. However, I remember seeing this pop up when difficulty ramped up last year. Then, however, as you may recall, she had some problems with concepts as well. Now we are seeing no concept problems (she says, "Now I get algebra"--seems like a maturation thing happened), but the details dribble away.

The tiny writing in small spaces/not showing work has been a problem for YEARS. She had a teacher in 4th grade who didn't require them to show work. (Remember, she was in a dedicated gifted school then.) She loved this. It was a bad idea.

Also wonder if she asked to be placed in this class or if she's there because of someone else (parent or teacher) recommending it? I don't know what the answer is re where she should be, but if she feels like she's in a class she doesn't really like because someone else thinks she should be pushing herself... that can cause a lot of stress as well as tension in relationships, and that might not be worth the placement regardless of what benefit is gained from the class.

Her 5th grade teacher was adamant that she be put in this track. We were less sure. She had to take a placement test, and her score was well above the minimum. She killed it on the state standardized math test for 7th graders last year (missed one problem). But I DO NOT care if she stays in this track and have suggested multiple times that she go back a track. She won't hear of it, not because she cares or likes math, but due to the social embarrassment factor. It's frustrating.