I know I'm going to sound a bit whinny. But I need somewhere to lick my wounds.

I stupidly took a look at the National Merit Semi-Finalists from our H.S. It's large as usual and I know most of those names because 3/4 or more of the list were kids in my son's 4-6th grade gifted class. And conversely at least 3/4 of that class was on the list, and some of them are missing because they went to different H.S. or moved. I know my son could have made semi-finalist list if he had a) spent just a bit more time studying and b) taken the extra time the school physiologist got from college board. Taking that extra time was partly his fault & partly that of the staff member in charge who didn't give him the proper directions. (Who has since gone on maternity leave and not returned.)

I know it isn't really going to make any difference to his college apps because of his grades, his SAT scores (he did great when he took the extra time) & where he is applying. He wouldn't make finalist because of his grades. And he should get commended, but I talked with the new staff member & she doesn't know about those letters. I not sure why I'm so disappointed but I am. I guess with all the ups & downs I figured this would be his place to shine. SIGH..