..This is ridiculous. I'm nervous about something that hasn't even happened yet.

Some of you may remember my posting last year about DD5 (4, then, and in PreK) because I had a lightning bulb moment that she may be gifted. She's in K now, and has been identified for testing, but she hasn't been tested yet. She's definitely at least a grade level above her peers and I know I'll have to advocate for differentiation in about a year, but luckily a.) the school is Reggio-inspired and this year in K is all play and project-based b.) She just did MAP testing so those results will help figure things out [she was bragging about how awesome she did on it too -- she loved being tested] and c.) The school from what I understand is pretty understanding about these things, whether or not she qualifies as gifted. It helps that she's only at a 1st grade level in K, and right now I'm afterschooling her in 1st grade math because she's interested. And she's not bored in K math or language arts because it's all fun.

Anyway, my DS4 got tested a few weeks ago not because we necessarily suspected he was gifted but because he's had behavioral problems and I mentioned to the testers that his dad had similar problems as a kid,was taken to a psych, and that's when my in-laws realized he was gifted. Was shocked the therapy center listened to me (it was an offhand comment and I wasn't pushing for testing), and we didn't even know he was getting the WPPSI until we walked in that day. (It's a free clinic - university training center -- so their communications aren't great).

I find out the results today. I don't know why I'm nervous. I don't really care whether or not he's gifted, but I feel like if he *is*, then advocating for him will be harder than it will be for DD5. He's not showy smart, definitely not in some sort of academic way (I know that's just a stereotype, but it's a stereotype DD5 fits). I've realized in the last year or so that he's smart as hell, but it's hard to see if you don't really know him. His problem-solving abilities are amazing, and he's really got great number sense.

So, although I really shouldn't even ask until this afternoon when I get the results back, I have to do something with my nerves, so here are my questions:

- If a gifted child seems happy at grade level and looks like they are actually fitting in with the material taught, should we leave well enough alone?
- What about enrichment, especially if the skills are more spatial sense and problem-solving? What are some options? (For the future, I mean. He's four and right now he just enjoys hanging upside down on the monkey bars). If he's gifted, he'd at least be in the pull-out program and get some enrichment at school a few days a week.
- What if he does seem like he's unhappy at grade level later on? As in, he learns differently or faster or problem solves in a different way than what he's being taught? What do you do then? How do you advocate for a kid that makes a ton of connections in his brain but doesn't necessary exhibit that ability on a test? What would I even ask for? With DD5 the major question is if we do differentiation or subject-matter acceleration, but it's something we can adjust to as necessary and I'm not asking for a grade-level skip or anything complicated. What do you ask for when there's almost a "special-needs" type component to learning but the kid isn't delayed or anything like that?

Sorry for questions that may not even be relevant, but I'm one of those people who have to have something to stress over, as my husband likes to point out!