I recognize that I'm a total dilettante when it comes to this, but I just find GC so fascinating.

And ultimately, the first hint for me is usually a certain special "otherness" to these kids - how a first grader enthusiastically discusses the digestive system, or a kindergartener who wants to devour a non-fiction book for middle grade kids, or a 4 or 5 year old child whose drawings of a ship also include solar panels and satellites and a supply of food, or a 4 year old who corrects your grammar, and so forth.

Of course, these are just wild guesses and they are meant for nothing more than my own personal amusement. The most I would do is ask the parent if they have questioned whether giftedness might be a possibility. So far, the children have all been identified already or will be tested in the near future.

I just think it's unusual. It seems to me that teachers could easily identify potential candidates for testing if they were a bit more attuned to the child as opposed to only considering the child's results in school.