Originally Posted by Raevyn
how should I practice self advocacy in this situation?
You might begin by speaking with someone other than the teacher to get the back story.

Example of who you might make an appointment to speak with - If your school assigns guidance counselors, or has a coordinator for gifted/advanced academics, either of these may be an appropriate person to discuss schedule changes with.

Example of back story - was there such high demand for the course that a new section was added? Is the original teacher also teaching a section of this course? If so, you might ask whether a schedule change is possible. If asked for a reason, you might state that your learning style seems compatible with her teaching style. If you are told the original teacher's section is full, you might ask about a waiting list (as there are frequent schedule changes during the first week or so of school, which may free up a seat in that class). If there is a waiting list, once you are added, you might ask what number you are on that list.

Then again, the original teacher may have taken another position, requested a leave of absence, moved out of State, etc.

Be sure to say "Thank you" or "Thank you for your time" and "I appreciate your help/insight/assistance." (Choose any one, or another great fill-in-the-blank word which seems to match the situation.) smile

I know this is a weird question, but will the book I carry into class on the first day make any impression? Thanks in advance.
That is a GREAT question. Because people are different, there is not one definitive answer. For example, this may depend upon how observant the teacher is. This may also depend on whether the teacher is looking for ready conversation pieces to strike up a friendly ice-breaker type of class discussion. It may also depend upon what else is transpiring that day, which might distract the teacher. That being said, there is a saying that "You don't get a second chance to make a first impression", so I'd suggest bringing the book which might make the best conversation piece with the teacher or other students.