Thanks so much for the recommendation. Yes, I am looking into that now. I've found on the CA BofE site that recommends "best practices" be based on multiple criteria, including IQ test and achievement testing. But I am still unclear about whether the "multiple criteria" evaluations are mandated. Interestingly, we have a brand new superintendent who comes from a CA district that evaluates for GATE based on multiple criteria. I will go to him if I have to. Also, interestingly, when I was advocating for my daughter's acceleration from TK-1st grade, our sup at the time was also brand new. Everyone at the district had told me their policy was no acceleration. At that point I consulted the BofE rules and found that acceleration is "at the discretion of the superintendent." I walked into the new sup's office and presented him with the BofE guidelines. He couldn't deny me at that point, opened my case, and my daughter was evaluated and accelerated. Seems like history is about to repeat itself. At least I have practice in this arena!