Originally Posted by stemfun
Since he is in 10th grade he most likely knows where his interests and passions lie, perhaps he will share this with the counselor if not with a parent.
As the parent of a 17 year old rising senior. I'd disagree with this statement. I think many 10th graders are still trying to find where their passion lies.

Originally Posted by stemfun
He may be unaware that colleges and universities expect to see evidence of a student's participation in extracurricular activities as well as good grades.
ON the other hand I agree that he may be unaware of the details universities look for in the admissions process. Have you taken your son on a college visit. I'd highly recommend this. You don't necessarily have to go far, nor look at one with a perfect fit. You are just shopping. Took my son to his first tour the beginning of last summer. It really opened his eyes as to what he needed to accomplish to get into university.

Talk this over with your son about what he should accomplish & how busy he is over the summer. Work through some goals. Think before you have this discussion what are your goals for him this summer, and let him define his? Is this about his getting outside of the house? Getting enough exercise? Spending too much time in front of the computer/electronics? Hanging out with other kids?

If he doesn't buy into the ACT class. It's probably not going to be helpful. I tried a writing program for my son the summer he was a rising 10th grade and it was a HUGE flop. Had to pull him out, we compromised by making him write in a journal all summer. As a gifted kid does he really need ACT class? Could you compromise with his doing an amount of self-study?

Keep in mind that teens these days seem to hang out with each other in person a LOT less frequently than I used to when I was this age. They play games over the internet & spend time in chat rooms. Your son is by far the only kid out there that seems to want to spend all his free time online or on computer games. When my DS is just home & all he wants to do is spend time online, I require him to at least go outside and do something physical for at least an hour. (Swim, bike, run, hike..) My son is busy for the summer, but a large portion of it is going to a wilderness camp where he is outside, away from electronics, and not at home.

Last edited by bluemagic; 06/17/16 03:19 PM.