chris1234, you're going to need specific information about your local courses to answer your questions - math curriculum isn't uniform across the country in high school, particularly in recent years with common core.

The other thing I'd consider is - what exactly is meant in your ds' case by "slow processing speed" - does this mean he needs extra time to think, or extra time to write? My high school ds has a slow processing speed *score* on the WISC, and needs a lot of extra time to get thoughts out of his head and write, which means writing out math takes a long time, but understanding concepts doesn't take extra time. If the issue is limited to getting the thoughts out quickly, then accommodations such as extended time, use of computer for "writing" math, and possibly limiting homework to one of each type of problem or every-other-problem etc. may be all that your ds needs to keep up with a rapid-paced math class.

Originally Posted by chris1234
"Pre-AP Algebra II/Trigonometry is taught at an accelerated pace. The content of the course is the same as the full year of Algebra
II and the semester Trigonometry class.

It might help to talk to other students or parents of other students to see how the class is taught - it could make a huge difference in whether or not it's really all about *learning* more material or all about a teacher assigning tons and tons of homework as a way of learning more material. If it turns out to be a course where there's a huge homework load and your ds doesn't have accommodations such as work every-other-problem etc, how would that impact his time?

Students must take the Virginia SOL test for Algebra II. Algebra II is required for the Advanced Studies Diploma."

I'm not in Virginia, so I'm not familiar with any of this. Is the Advanced Studies Diploma something your ds wants to get? If so, fight for him to get into this class smile

Best wishes,

polarbear