Originally Posted by Thomas Percy
Originally Posted by playandlearn
We were in a private GT school for part of middle school, and we didn't leave only because we didn't have a better option. Our choice of middle schools was very limited. If we had a better choice, or if we could homeschool or do online learning, we would have left that GT school right away.

DS is now in a magnet high school (no entrance test; kids know how high the expectation is at the school and they come because they really want to). And he loves it. This is the first time he loves school.

There are two GT private schools in our area (and our district doesn't have any GT program), both seem to have good reputations but from what I heard from families that go to the other GT school, it's not as good as it sounds either.

I am surprised by the no entrance tests part. The entry to magnet school where I am is so desired and I cannot imagine anyone will be deterred merely by understanding the high expectations.

It's lottery. This method has been used by a few magnet schools in our area and it's working very well. Basically people self select, enter the lottery and hope for best luck. I guess the rationale is that anyone who wants the challenge should have equal chance...