Originally Posted by Priiak
On the clinical side of things, unresolved language issues (expressive or receptive, but especially expressive) tend to coincide with a decrease in IQ scores over time.

I'm grabbing this quote from the regression post to start a new thread, on an issue that comes up often here, but usually as a sideline to other topics.

Priiak, we're looking at a new round of assessment for DS12 to dig into writing issues, and I strongly suspect expressive language (along with a mega dose of ADHD-inattentive) to be a big piece of it. Could you elaborate on what you see over time? What we might see happening in his assessment results compared to earlier testing? And what "resolving" expressive language issues looks like?

I twigged onto expressive language as a potential issue a couple of years ago thanks to polarbear, but I could never find any info whatsoever that even vaguely resembled my son - i.e. what expressive language deficits look like in a high-verbal kid. I spoke to a couple of SLPs, but with his WISC scores, they couldn't fathom why I was even asking such foolish questions. However, with the extremely high writing expectations of his new gifted class this year, I think it's finally becoming obvious to others that it's not just me, something actually IS a problem here, and expression may very well be a part of it.

So to everyone, anything you could share on what we should look for, tell-tale drops in scores, questions we should ask, links to descriptions of what expressive language deficits actually look like in a verbally-gifted child, etc, would be most appreciated.