Adding personal anecdotes, because you've asked: I was a grade skipped kid, took a gap semester and was a spring admit (European university, so not that uncommon). I enjoyed my semester abroad and liked that I entered university with a smaller cohort, most of which had done interesting things during their time off, been abroad, worked done military service, alternative service, travelled, every one had interesting stories to tell.

My niece, entered early with a summer birthday, spent a year abroad between sophomore and junior year. She'd always struggled socially, being young for grade, loved her school abroad, made great friends and hit the ground running when she came back. Academically, she had been fine,but not stellar. She's made it now into the equivalent of a BS/MD program, doing just fine.

My nephew, entered regularly with a spring birthday, always did fine socially but struggled academically, did the same program his sister did. He has been back for a year now and is doing much better academically, and has matured tremendously to boot.

I am thinking DS might take a year off as well, otherwise he'll graduate at 17.

Last edited by Tigerle; 05/13/16 05:18 AM.