Hi. I'm new here. Looking for thoughts of those who have been there before. My seventh grader qualifies as gifted and talented. In fact she scored well enough on the SAT which she took this year to qualify for state recognition in the Duke TIP program. She scores in the 99th percentile in reading on the MAP test and its in the 95th or so for math. However this school year (7th) has been a rough one for her. She has made Bs and Cs (averaging around 84)in Advanced English and Advanced Pre Algerbra all year. Though she finally got her act in gear and is doing much better in math. This is due to several things most mostly her not doing homework or only putting a half hearted effort in math. And a bad match with her teacher in English. (This is a really poor teacher for gifted students. With endless worksheets and requiring them to spit back rote answers rather than focusing on higher order thinking questions).
Anyway all that to say I believe she is not working up to her potential in those classes. Ugh. So frustrating. The end of the year has rolled around and it's time to register for classes for next year. Although she more than qualifies based on MAP scores for The ninth grade level Eglish and Algerbra class (She will be in 8th grade) However her grades aren't high enough.
Now I have the option of parental over ride and can get her in these classes anyway. I am having hard time deciding if I should or not.
I know she could handle the work of she choose to. I know she needs to be challenged and part of the problem this year was boredom. However she is work adverse. Particularly busy work which she considers unnecessary Hopefully these higher level classes will have more meaningful classes and less busy work Right now she wants to get into these classes and is making all kinds of promises about how she's going to keep up with the homework and projects but I am afraid when it comes down to it we are going to have a battle on our hands.
Looking for advice.