Ugh, Ultramarina, that question would send me over the wall.

In these questions its much easier to see which answer is expected. I could easily teach her that when she's looking at the short reading selection do x and keep doing y when you are looking at the longer one.

But I guess that actually leads to a much larger question which is how much do we try to teach our kids to strategize like this? It just seems so cynical. Ultimately, the type of main idea information they're looking at in the lower lower level quiz will fade out because it's not relevant to real world writing or reading (unless you are reading or writing at a really low level)--same with your example, even though yours is definitely more sophisticated than what I'm talking about.

So do I even waste time going there with her? It would just be about the grade. If she wasn't dysgraphic, I wouldn't care about the grade (and she certainly doesn't care about the grade!) but because of the writing issues, her report card ELA grade ranges from 88-91. So these things matter; she's right on the border. And my fear is that as she gets older, she'll get pushed down to lower level work because I didn't teach her how to do stuff like game these bubble tests.

So my instinct says ignore...once you've developed the actual skill, these contrived paragraphs have nothing to do with real learning. But my gut says she's got to learn to play the game.

I guess that's a way bigger issue than whether or not I choose to go over a couple of comprehension quizzes with her, but that's the heart of what I'm questioning.