Long-time listener; (almost) first-time caller. (I did write a couple posts six years ago -- time flies!)

My son recently got back his Explore test results, and he is eligible to apply to the Young Scholars Program. (Last year his results would have been high enough for his grade-by-age -- he's accelerated one year -- but not for his actual grade.)

Before applying, I decided to take a look through the forum to see what current YSP families have gotten out of being in the program, and I've found disappointingly little written on that topic. I've read about half of the long "Experiences w/Davidson Young Scholars Program?" thread, but almost everything there seemed to be regarding getting into YSP rather than currently being in it. And some keyword searches in the forum haven't turned up much useful either.

I've read the official list from Davidson about the benefits -- the consulting, the in-person meetings -- but I don't really know what that equates to in reality. It's arguable that there's no real downside to applying, but still, if there's no real upside that I can see for my son, I don't want to waste Davidson's resources.

(Brief demographic info on my son: He's a fifth-grader at a parochial school in one of the best high-school districts in Chicagoland -- 10 or more perfect ACT scores in most years' graduating classes.)

So if anyone can share their family's experiences with what they got out of YSP, good or bad, I'd truly appreciate it. Thanks.