Originally Posted by HelloBaby
Originally Posted by aeh
Struggle with expressing himself clearly?

He could be, but is it a boy "thing"?

No. As the parent of a boy who has an issue with expressive language, it's just so easy to think things like "it's a boy thing" or "it's a high IQ thing" or "he's just interested in other things" etc. I said so many of those things to myself when my ds was young! *MAYBE* it's a "boy thing" or other thing.. but when you have signs from testing of a large discrepancy in abilities and you have other signs from outside of school or within school that things aren't going well or are a little different from what you'd expect, that's when it's time to do exactly what you're doing - have a professional attempt to look at the big picture and put the pieces together. So - one other thing for your appointment - be sure to mention things like this. And ask if the psychologist has done (or recommends) any follow-up tests to help discern *why* there is the large difference in test scores.

Originally Posted by polarbear
The teacher’s recommendation was mostly due to rushed and sloppy work (more notably as the school year goes on) and possible enrichment opportunities. At home, impulsivity is also a concern.

To be honest, I am more concerned about the possible 2e than enrichment at school at this point. He avoids tasks related to reading/writing (and English is his first language), which is not his strength. I always assume kids avoid tasks that are difficult to them.

Even though you're more concerned about 2e, definitely take any recommendations for enrichment back to his teacher - one thing that happens with 2e kids is that they may have to spend a lot of time and difficult effort on remediating the area of their challenges, and it's really *really* helpful to also have them working on an area of strength at the same time, so they have a chance to feel successful.

Re the challenges, definitely learn all you can about what's potentially up, and ask for the psychologists recommendations for what to do to both better define/understand the challenges and for recommendations for remediation and accommodations.

And yes, I think you're right on when guessing that task avoidance is a sign of potential difficulty. FWIW my ds also used to try to rush through work that was difficult due to his challenge (when he was young... now that he's older he tackles it, but also wishes it would just disappear!).

Best wishes,

polarbear

ps - not to make things even more complicated, but fwiw, my 2e dd has an extremely high PSI - it's possible that what looks like rushing through work is actually your ds working in his high-PSI mode. My dd likes to work really fast - which she can do in some respects, but it is also extremely frustrating to her to have to slow her brain down in order to not make mistakes. She's my dyslexic child, so for her that means she often misses words/meaning etc. She's also very strong at math, so she works quickly through problems.. and makes simple mistakes because she's thinking so quickly. Hope that makes sense!

Last edited by polarbear; 03/23/16 12:05 PM.